marvel n : something that causes feelings of wonder; "the wonders of modern science" [syn: wonder]
1 be amazed at; "We marvelled at the child's linguistic abilities" [syn: wonder]
EtymologyFirst attested from 1300, from Middle English marvail, from Old French merveille a wonder, from Vulgar Latin *miribilia, from Latin mirabilia wonderful things, from neuter plural of mirabilis strange, wonderful, from mirari to wonder at, from mirus wonderful.
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)vəl
- That which causes wonder; a prodigy; a miracle.
- Surprise, astonishment.
- Russian: чудо
- To become filled with wonderment or admiration; to be amazed at something.
become filled with wonderment
Marvel or marvel can refer to:
- Marvel Entertainment, a character-based entertainment and licensing company based in the United States of America
Marvel, a name referring to several comic book superheroes
- Marvel Family team of superheroes
- Marvel (magazine), an American science fiction magazine that was published between 1939 and 1941 and was revived briefly in 1950
- Marvel (album), an album by The Lads
- Marvel, Colorado, USA, a small town in La Plata County
- Marvel (food), a brand of milk powder produced by British-based Premier Foods
- Marvel (band), a British band
marvel in Italian: Marvel
marvel in French: Marvel (homonymie)
marvel in Dutch: Marvel
admiration, amaze, amazement, astonishing thing, astonishment, astoundment, awe, be amazed, be astonished, beaut, beguilement, bewilderment, breathless wonder, curiosity, dumbfoundment, exception, eyeful, fascination, gape, gawk, gaze, gazingstock, knockout, looker, lovely, marveling, marvelment, miracle, nonesuch, phenomenon, portent, prodigy, puzzlement, quite a thing, rarity, sensation, sense of mystery, sense of wonder, sight, something else, spectacle, stand aghast, stare, stare openmouthed, stunner, stupefaction, surprise, wonder, wonderful thing, wonderment